Would you be shocked to learn that approximately 44% of the American population either suffer or have suffered from heartburn at some time in their lives? If you are in this number, then you are not alone. Seeing that almost half of the population suffers from heartburn or has had a case of it at least once in their life, would you not think that there should be more public awareness about this disease? Unfortunately, there is not.
Approximately 90% of people that suffer from heartburn find that the quality of their life has been affected in some way, yet, not much information is made known to the general public.
With that being said, here are 14 easy and quick acid reflux cures that you can put into effect immediately:
1. Avoid drinks that contain alcohol, teas, coffee, and colas. Herein lies the culprit – caffeine.
2. If you have a penchant to drink coffee, then try some of the decaffeinated coffee instead. It will not give you that buzz, but you will not be bothered by heartburn either.
3. Avoid citrus fruits, tomatoes, and drinking coffee. The big problem with these foods is the acid in them. Also, coffee contains caffeine which you do not need.
4. Avoid peppermints, chocolates, onions, and food with a high-fat level.
5. Try to avoid whole milk if you are a milk drinker. Instead, you should try fat free milk or milk that has 1 or 2% fat.
6. Try not to eat large meals. Instead, try to space your meals throughout the day and eat several smaller ones.
7. Take your time eating. Remember that it has been said to chew each mouthful of food 25 times before going on to the next mouthful? Try this and see if it does not help to alleviate your acid reflux symptoms.
8. Drink plenty of water throughout the day but do it in small amounts.
9. When you go to sleep for the night, you want to try to keep your head elevated at a higher level than your body. It would be a good idea to raise the head of your bed frame with bricks or put wedges between your box spring and mattress. In this way, the acid can stay down in your stomach where it belongs.
10. If it does not interrupt your pattern of sleep too much, then try to sleep on your left side.
11. Rather than slouching during the day, try sitting upright in a comfortable chair.
12. You should try to stay within the weight guidelines as recommended by your doctor. The more weight you put on, the more likely you are to be bothered by acid reflux.
13. Wear loose clothing.
14. Try not to exercise after you have just eaten a meal. Too much activity just after you eat can tend to make acid reflux worse.
There are a great many acid reflux cures available other than the ones listed above. Some people think that the answer lies only in taking a drug as an acid reflux cure. There is certainly nothing wrong with that, but you will find that there are more natural cures for acid reflux and heartburn that are well worth trying.